Friday, May 16, 2014

Emptying Ubuntu trash as Root

So I got stuck while using my Nautilus as root on Ubuntu 14.04. After I copied stuff to my Ubuntu off my Mac hard drive, I tired to delete some of the bits that I did not needed in my Ubuntu (which were copied from Mac). I figured I was using nautilus to access with other hard drive using root access which is why I needed root rights to empty trash can as well. So here is what I did:
sudo nautilus
^ This is what I did to access any hard drive as root and copy. I'm not sure if you have change rights with this but you sure can access and copy. (In my instance it was my Mac OS partition on the same notebook).
sudo rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash/*
^ This command will empty trash as root. Both of these should be put into terminal for Ubuntu (Ctrl+T) will pop it up by default, in some cases you can find it in the Ubuntu side/search dock as well.

Thanks for reading!
Ciao :)

No comments: